taco tuesdays with tofu
Shredded, cheezy, creamy, crispy, and oh-so-delicious
"Bland, white chunks of flavorless rubber." If this is your view on tofu, we guarantee it will change after trying these shredded tofu tacos!
Not only is tofu delicious when cooked and flavored correctly, but it also contains many health benefits, including:
1. Heart Healthy
Tofu is made from soybeans, which are categorized as legumes. Legumes have been proven healthy for the heart and help reduce inflammation within blood vessels. This helps them maintain their elasticity and reduces issues arising from high blood pressure.
2. Great Source of Protein
Soy products are excellent plant-based protein sources. A half cup of tofu offers about 10 grams of protein.
3. Helps With Weight Loss
Because tofu is high in protein and low in fat, it is a great food to eat when trying to lose weight. It contains protein, fiber, and calcium, all of which are essential in regulating appetite and keeping you fuller for longer.
4. Rich in Nutrients
Tofu is high in manganese, magnesium, selenium, iron, zinc, and calcium. All of these help our bodies function optimally.
Time to reap all the health benefits and make these delicious tofu tacos!
shredded tofu tacos recipe
- 1 pkg extra firm tofu
- 1 Tbs oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbs liquid aminos or to taste
- Dash of ketchup (optional)
- 1/4 onion minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 a tomato chopped
- Pat tofu dry to remove excess liquid
- Use a grater to shred the tofu and place on baking tray.
- Add oil and spices and mix until incorporated.
- Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes until slightly crispy.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan, add chopped onion, garlic and tomato with a dash of spices if you wish.
- Add baked tofu to the pan and mix.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas and guacamole and enjoy!