You might think that the options for vegan tacos are limited or boring. This is absolutely not the case!
With all the tasty plant-based ingredients, spices, and herbs available, vegan tacos are the bomb! Even our carnivore friends would dig them!
And best of all, most of the time, you can make delicious vegan tacos with staple ingredients you already have.
To prove our point, Rated V, shared her vegan mushroom taco recipe with us. See below and enjoy!
"I love tacos! Before I gave up meat, carne asada was a staple in my family growing up. When we had a party or wanted tacos, carne asada was the star. So you can imagine my panic when I first went vegetarian and then even more when I went vegan!
Well, fear not! You don't have to give up anything. The "meaty" texture is easily replaced by crimini or oyster mushrooms (the darker mushrooms tend to have more flavor and work best to replace meat).
In the video below, you will find an easy street taco-style recipe. You will just need one baking tray, some staple seasonings in your pantry, and a hot oven. I accompany my tacos with my go-to guacamole and crema recipes. I really hope you enjoy this recipe and enjoy a bit of my comfort food."
HOW TO MAKE THESE DELICIOUS VEGAN MUSHROOM TACOS
Mushroom Meat Ingredients:
Corn Tortillas of choice (small street tacos or large, whatever your preference)
2 packs of mushrooms. I like oysters and crimini mushrooms.
Onion finely chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
Mushroom Meat Spice Mix:
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
2 Tbs soy sauce (this adds umami flavor)
2-3 large Roma tomatoes
2-3 garlic cloves
3 chiles de Arbol
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp coconut sugar or brown sugar (coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index)
Cilantro for garnish
Mushroom Meat Directions:
- Thinly slice mushrooms and place in a bowl with all spices in the spice mix ingredient list.
- Finely mince onion and mix in a bowl with spiced mushroom mix and toss until evenly coated.
- Add mushrooms to an oiled baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees F or 250 C for about 25 min or until golden brown and onions are softened. Toss halfway, and then wait until they are nicely charred and crisp.
Salsa cooking directions:
- In a saucepan, add all ingredients except oregano to 2 tablespoons of water. Steam on medium-high heat for about 5-7 min or until the skins of the tomatoes come off. (This will make the salsa smoother when you blend).
- Remove tomato skins and blend all ingredients until salsa is semi-thick.
- Add back to the pot with 1/2 tsp oregano, 1 tsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp sugar, and simmer for about 5-10 min.
Time to build!
Grill each tortilla on a skillet or pan with a tiny bit of oil until softened. Add a generous amount of mushroom meat to each tortilla, top with salsa, crema, and guacamole, and garnish with cilantro.
Now you have got yourself some fantastic street tacos to feast on! Let us know if you made this!