Quinoa + Carob Chips = A Heavenly, Healthier Sweet Treat!
Quinoa is a gluten-free superfood that (in our very humble opinion) should always be stocked in your pantry. This grain, atlhough technically a seed, is a magical ingredient that gives any dish a nutritional boost!
Quinoa has a ton of health benefits, which is why we totally root for it!
This ancient grain is not only gluten-free, but it's fiber, protein, minerals, and vitamin content make it a superfood.
And when you can mix a superfood like quinoa with carob or chocolate to make a crunchy, healthy, sweet snack, the question is not if you should, but rather, why would you not??
Toasting the quinoa in this recipe is the secret to making these bars so crunchy. And adding coconut oil helps harden the chocolate and makes it shiny!
Best of all, these bars are SO easy to make, it's kinda mind blowing... Oh, and they'll last you a good while! But we think you'll eat them up in no time ;-)
These yummy quinoa chocolate bars were invented by Salt n Sprinkles, and we cannot thank her enough!
Healthy Quinoa Crunch Bars Recipe
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 1 Cup Chocolate or carob chips (sweetened or unsweetened, depending how intense those sweet cravings are)
- 1 Tbs Coconut oil
- Toast the quinoa in a hot skillet for 2 - 4 minutes, until it starts to pop. Stir continually so it does not burn. Set aside.
- Melt the carob or chocolate chips with the coconut oil. You can do this in the microwave, or in a large bowl over a pot of boiling water.
- Mix the quinoa with the melted carob or chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into a pan lined with parchment paper and spread it into an even layer.
- Freeze for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Slice into bars and place in a Ziploc bag. These will last months when stored in the freezer!