fruit as a meat alternative? Yes!!
If you've been looking for new, interesting meat alternatives, jackfruit is your answer!
This fruit's stringy texture made it famous for its ability to imitate barbequed meat, chicken, and pulled pork. And that's why they are great for making delicious tacos, stir-fries, and curries!
Young jackfruit is harvested before it fully ripens, resulting in a tender and mild flavor that's perfect for absorbing spices and seasonings.
Young jackfruit is low in calories, fat, and sodium and contains a moderate amount of fiber, protein, and essential nutrients such as potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6.
The fiber in jackfruit can help regulate digestion, while the potassium helps maintain a healthy heart and blood pressure. Additionally, the vitamin C in jackfruit can help support a strong immune system.
Young jackfruit allows you to enjoy all the flavor and texture of meat but with fewer calories and more nutrients.
These jackfruit carnita tacos will be a favorite among vegans and non-vegans, making them the perfect crowd-pleaser.
jackfruit carnita tacos recipe
- 14 oz can of jackfruit
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce or Braggs liquid amino acid
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dry mexican oregano
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp sugar or maple syrup (for caramelization)
- Drain jackfruit and rinse thoroughly.
- Dry in paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Shred the jackfruit pieces and cut the larger ends with a knive.
- Add oil to a pan, add garlic and sautee for one or two min.
- Add jackfruit, spices, aminos or soy sauce and sugar.
- Sautee in pan until done and charred.
- Serve with tortillas and salsa.