The secret to this creamy pasta without using dairy?
Yup, you read that right!
We are using raw, shelled, and soaked sunflower seeds to make a yummy sunflower cream.
Sunflower seeds are a true nutritional powerhouse, packed with essential nutrients that support overall health and well-being.
These tiny seeds are a rich source of protein, healthy fats, dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are especially high in selenium and manganese, which both assist the immune system. Selenium is also important for regulating thyroid hormones.
This sunflower cream is also a great alternative to cashew cream for those who are allergic to nuts.
Let's dive in and make this delicious, creamy lemon and garlic pasta made with sunflower seeds!
Lemon Garlic Pasta With Sunflower Cream Sauce Recipe
- Pasta of choice
- 1 small bunch of kale, stems removed
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tbs Olive oil
- ⅓ cup soaked sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of salt
- Chili flakes, as needed
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain and reserve the liquid.
- Heat a large pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook for a minute, until fragrant.
- Add the kale to the pan and continue to cook for a minute or two to wilt the kale. Once the kale has wilted slightly, remove it from the heat and add the pasta.
- Add the soaked sunflower seeds with water, lemon juice, lemon zest, smoked paprika, and salt to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Add to the pasta and toss. Add a splash or two of reserved pasta water as needed to thin and coat the noodles.
- Serve with a sprinkle of chili flakes as needed.