If you want to cut back on carbs, or simply find ways to eat more veggies, you have to try this eggplant lasagna!
In this recipe, we replaced traditional lasagna with eggplant slices for a more carb-friendly version and a way to get in those greens.
Eggplant is a non-starchy vegetable that is high in fiber and low in calories, which makes it great for those cutting back on carbs or following a Keto diet.
And to make this dish even more healthier, we are using tofu ricotta for that desired creaminess and saucyness that you would expect from a lasagna. Best of all, the tofu ricotta doubles down as that ever-important protein source!
Oh, and did we mention it is gluten-free? So it really is a great dish to suit so many diet preferences!
low-carb eggplant lasagna recipe
- 1/2 block firm or extra firm tofu (don’t pat dry)
- 1/4 cup Country Life Foods Lemon Herb Seasoning
- 1 large eggplant, sliced
- Pesto of your choice or see our recipe below
- Marinara sauce
- Oil for drizzling
- Panko breadcrumbs for topping sautéed with a bit of oil
- Add sliced eggplant to a baking tray and sprinkle some salt to remove moisture and bitterness.
- Leave for about 15 minutes, then pat dry and drizzle with oil. Flip, pat and drizzle more oil.
- Bake at 400F for 20–25 minutes or until edges are soft. You can also pan fry the slices.
- In the meantime, make your tofu ricotta by blending the tofu and seasoning in a blender.
- Layer eggplant in a baking dish and then add pesto, tofu ricotta, spinach, and marinara.
- Repeat layers until you use up all the eggplant and tofu ricotta. Top with vegan ricotta and marinara, vegan Parmesan, and panko bread crumbs.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes until warm and the spinach is slightly wilted. Enjoy!