Easy Peasy Lemon squeezy
If you love lemon flavor, this lemon olive oil cake will not disappoint! Olive oil makes it deliciously moist, it has all the lemon flavor you'd hope for, and it's so easy to make!
Lemon Olive Oil Cake Recipe
- 2 ½ cups (315g) all-purpose plain flour
- 1 ¼ cups (250g) granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt, optional
- 1 cup (250g) dairy-free milk, room temperature
- ½ cup (125g) extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup (80g) lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
For the icing (optional):
- 1 ½ cups (150g) powdered sugar / icing sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup (150g) fresh berries
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (355°F). Line an 8-inch loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl. Mix until there are no lumps.
- Add all the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour the lemon cake batter into the tin and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry. As this is a moist cake, some crumbs on your toothpick are fine.
- If the top of the cake is browning too quickly, carefully tent the pan with aluminum foil.
- Allow the cake to cool in the loaf tin for 10 minutes, then let the cake cool on a cooling rack.
To make the icing:
- Add the lemon juice and sugar to a bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add more lemon juice or non-dairy milk for a thinner icing (like a lemon glaze) or more powdered sugar for a thicker icing.
- Drizzle the icing over your cooled cake. If desired, top the cake with berries just before serving.
Store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or in the fridge for up to 3 days. The cake can be stored without the icing in the freezer for up to 1 month.