Can you enjoy your beloved morning pancakes when following a plant-based diet?? It needs eggs, right?
Nope for the eggs. Yes for still enjoying pancakes!
There's this magic ingredient called flax seeds, and it has been a saving grace as a replacement for eggs in many recipes!
It's called a flax egg - For each egg, replace it with 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed and 3 tablespoons of water.
Add flax seed and water to a bowl and stir. Let it rest for 10 - 15 minutes in the fridge to thicken and get gelatinous. Ground chia seeds will work just as well if you cannot eat flax seeds or don't have them on hand.
It is not always the perfect replacement, especially in baking, as it doesn't bind and stiffen as eggs do. But it works perfectly fine in pancakes, cookies, and quick breads.
Not only are flax seeds an excellent substitute for eggs, they also pack a punch of health benefits:
- They are a great source of protein
- Are high in fiber
- High in omega-3 fatty acids
- And aids with digestion
VEGAN BANANA BREAD PANCAKES RECIPE
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 Flax eggs
- 1 Mashed bananas
- 2 cups Plant milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Walnuts for topping
- Cooking spray
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix well with a spoon until there are no more dry spots and clumps. However, don't over-mix.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Lightly spray it with oil or cooking spray to coat
- Pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter, and then top with walnuts.
- When the pancake starts to bubble, give it a few minutes to settle, and when the edges begin to set, flip the pancakes.
- Repeat with the remainder of the batter. Makes 12 pancakes.
- Top with sliced bananas, walnuts, and your favorite sweetener. Enjoy!!