Apple Pie and Fall Are Like Two Peas In A Pod
THEY SIMPLY GO TOGETHER!
With fall upon us, it is time to cozy up, bring out the pumpkins, and eat loads of apple pie! Any excuse, right?!
And this mouth-watering apple pie will not disappoint!
It is plant-based, gluten-free, contains no added oils, and oh-so-juicy!
Gluten-Free Apple Pie Recipe
For The Crust:
- 1.5 cups Bob’s 1:1 Gluten Free baking flour
- 1.5 Cups gluten free quick cooking oats
- 2 cups brazil nuts
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup of water
For The Filling:
- 8 Granny smith apples, peeled, sliced, and cored
- 1 stick of earth balance butter
- 2 Tbs of water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp vanilla
For The Crust:
- Blend oats, nuts, flour, and salt in a food processor until fine as flour.
- Place in a mixing bowl and slowly add water.
- Mix and form a ball with your hands, adding water until the dough is well mixed and is not crumbly but also not too sticky.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll both halves between two pieces of parchment paper to form 12-inch circles.
- Line a pie dish with one half and trim the extra dough. If it breaks, patch it back with your hands and a little water.
- Reserve the rest to make the lattice top to the pie and ornamental leaves if desired. If not, roll the remaining dough, place it over the pie once it is filled, and add some slits.
- Place apples in a mixing bowl
- Melt butter and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix until well blended, and sugar is melted.
- Pour half of the mixture onto the apples and mix well.
Time To Assemble
Variation - Apple Crumble Topping:
For an easier version, make an apple crumble topping instead of the lattice top.
- 1 1/4 cups of gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil softened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix together with your hands until crumbly. Sprinkle crumbles evenly over your pie filling. Bake as above.