Pancakes, flapjacks, crepes, batter cakes.... There are so many names for this popular breakfast item. But, whatever you call these, we think it is safe to say that this breakfast item is universally enjoyed in many households!
Actually, pancakes have been around for centuries. And we know why! 'Cause they are just THAT gooood!
During the Greek and Roman times, pancakes were made from wheat flour, olive oil, honey, and curdled milk.
Ancient Greek poets Cratinus and Magnes wrote about pancakes in their poetry. Even Shakespeare mentioned them in his famous plays. And from there on, pancakes were enjoyed all over the world. It would often be flavored with rosewater, sherry, apples, and spices for a savory taste.
The word "pancake" was first used during the 15th century. Before this, it was often called Indian cakes, hoecakes, johnnycakes, journey cakes, buckwheat cakes, griddle cakes, and flapjacks. "Pancakes" became standard in America in the 19th century.
Fluffy Vegan, Gluten-Free Pancakes Recipe
These tasty pancakes are proof that you don't have to give up your favorite baked goods or sweet treats when you follow a vegan, plant-based, or gluten-free diet.
- 1 cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Iodine-free Sea Salt
- 1 Tbs Neat Egg substitute or another egg replacer
- 1/3-1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Maple syrup for serving
- Begin preheating a griddle to medium or medium-high heat (350-375°F).
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the egg replacer, plant milk, and oil in a separate bowl.
- With a wire whisk, stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until smooth.
- Ladle approximately ⅓ cup of pancake batter onto the hot griddle.
- Flip when bubbles start to form and edges are slightly dry, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve hot with your favorite maple syrup or other desired toppings.