Fiber and protein-rich ✔
These homemade tortilla alternatives are great if you need gluten-free options, want a healthier tortilla for your Mexican nights, or are out of store-bought tortillas and need to make your own!
With only two to three ingredients needed, they are quick and super easy to make!
- Flax seed tortillas
- Cassava flour tortillas
- Non-GMO white corn tortillas
- Chickpea flour tortillas
FLAX SEED TORTILLA RECIPE
Flax seeds pack 30 g of protein and 46 g of fiber, and let’s not forget all the omega-3s they offer!!
- 1 Cup Flax Seed blended into flour
- 1 Cup Water
- Salt to taste
- Bring water to a boil, add blended flax, form a dough (add 1Tbs more flax if needed).
- Press the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll into a flat tortilla.
- Cut out circles and heat on pan for 2-3 min.
CASSAVA FLOUR TORTILLA RECIPE
These cassava flour tortillas are soft, slightly chewy, and foldable for your favorite tacos or wraps.
- 1 cup cassava flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, butter, ghee, or palm shortening
- ⅔ cup warm water
- Add the cassava flour, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar, oil, and water to a large bowl and mix together. Form into a dough ball.
- Split a Ziplog bag or use parchment paper and add the dough ball between two layers.
- Use a plate to press the dough down to make a flat round shape.
- Add to a pan with medium-high heat and brown on both sides till cooked.
- Serve with your favorite taco or wrap ingredients!
NON-GMO WHITE CORN TORTILLA RECIPE
Non-GMO foods are very important to us. The amount of antioxidants is much higher in natural, organic foods. Try this non-GMO corn flour from Mexico to make your next tortilla.
- 1 Cup masa corn flour
- 1 Cup scant water
- Mix the masa flour and water until it forms a dough-like consistency.
- Moisten your hands with water, roll a ball, and flatten it like a tortilla with your hand. Or place the ball between two pieces of plastic film and gently press down with a plate to make the tortilla.
- Add to medium-heat skillet and brown on both sides
CHICKPEA FLOUR TORTILLA RECIPE
Are you sensitive to gluten or want a high fiber tortilla instead of refined white flour tortillas? This easy recipe uses chickpea flour (aka garbanzo bean flour) and is a great way to replace traditional tortillas.
- Mix the chickpea flour and tapioca starch.
- Add the water and mix until you get a pancake-batter like consistency.
- Add 1/3 cup of the mixture to a warm skillet coated with olive oil.
- Swirl around and cook for 2 minutes each side.