THAT ONE TIME CHICKPEA PRETENDED TO BE CHICKEN
AND IT DID A PRETTY GOOD JOB!
Summer months go hand in hand with outdoor gatherings and slow-living picnics. And what better way to enjoy these moments with garden-fresh salads and scrumptious make-you-happy sandwiches!
And when you can combine these two summer favorites into one, even the better! Just like this refreshing, delicious chickpea "chicken" salad served on its own or on a yummy french loaf.
If you need to cater for vegans and non-vegans, these smashed chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are the perfect replacement for shredded chicken or tuna.
CHICKPEA "CHICKEN" SALAD RECIPE
- 3 cans of chickpeas (4 cups if using dried chickpeas). Drained and mashed
- 1-2 cups of red seedless grapes
- 1 cup thinly sliced almonds
- 4 celery ribs chopped
- 4-5 scallions thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 3 Tbs fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs fresh parsley chopped
- 1 Tbs mustard
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dill seeds
- 1 cup plant-based mayonnaise
- Drain and mash chickpeas with hand-held masher until the beans are crushed to a coarse consistency. Do not blend smooth.
- In a bowl mix the mashed chickpeas, grapes, almonds, celery, and scallions.
- In a separate bowl mix the mayo, dill seeds, lemon juice, salt, mustard and greens.
- Gently fold the wet mixture into the chickpea mixture until evenly mixed.
- Refrigerate before serving.
- Enjoy on its own as a side dish or serve on your preferred bread of choice.