Oats and apples go together like peanut butter & jelly, popcorn & butter, cookies & milk. It's the perfect combination!
The flavors just work together so well. And it's always a breakfast winner.
If you ever had overnight oats, you would know that it is the best kind of way to eat oats!
Overnight oats are creamy, easier to digest, require no cooking, saving you time and dirty dishes, and are very versatile when it comes to flavor combinations.
Don't be afraid to try out different combinations, flavors, and toppings for your overnight oats. Bananas, strawberries, blueberries, peanut butter, cocoa, coconut, and nuts are all yummy options.
We, however, are secretly obsessed with our applesauce, so we decided to use it in this easy, healthy, high-fiber breakfast. And what a great idea it was, it turned out deliciously!
Here's how to make our Apple Pie Overnight Oats.
1 cup old fashioned organic whole rolled oats
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1 cup nondairy milk
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce (Country Life is our favorite but we’re biased 😉)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon apple pie spice or
½ teaspoon cinnamon,
¼ teaspoon ground ginger,
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
A pinch of salt
GRILLED APPLE & WALNUT TOPPING (OPTIONAL)
1/2 Apple sliced or diced
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
A pinch of salt
APPLE PIE OVERNIGHT OATS:
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt until well blended. Stir in the raw oats.
2. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours, or overnight.
GRILLED APPLE & WALNUT TOPPING (OPTIONAL):
1. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add diced or sliced apples. Sauté with a bit of sugar and cinnamon until caramelized for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
2. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts and toast for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Stir well and continue toasting for 2-3 more minutes, stirring and watching carefully so they don't burn.
4. Transfer to a plate to cool down. Top overnight oats with apple slices, and candied walnuts, cinnamon, maple syrup, or anything else you like!
We hope you enjoy! Let us know if you made it, tag us on Instagram @countrylifenaturalfoods.