pumpkin dip/ pepita dip/ sikil pak - It's all the same!
Sikil Pak is a simple yet delicious pumpkin seed dip that comes from the Mayans of the Yucatán peninsula.
This pumpkin seed dip is packed with protein and healthy fats, and is completely plant-based and gluten-free!
Pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are not only delicious but also offer several health benefits:
- Nutrient-rich: Pumpkin seeds are a good source of protein, healthy fats, fiber, vitamins (such as vitamin K, vitamin E, and several B vitamins), and minerals (such as magnesium, zinc, iron, and potassium).
- Heart health: Pumpkin seeds contain phytosterols, plant compounds that have been associated with reducing LDL cholesterol levels and promoting heart health. Magnesium in pumpkin seeds may also contribute to heart health by helping regulate blood pressure.
- Antioxidant properties: Pumpkin seeds contain various antioxidants, including vitamin E and carotenoids. Antioxidants help protect the body against damage from free radicals that can cause oxidative stress and contribute to chronic diseases like heart disease and certain cancers.
- Prostate health: Some evidence suggests that pumpkin seeds may support prostate health. They contain a natural compound called dihydrotestosterone (DHT) that may help to regulate hormone levels and reduce the risk of prostate enlargement and associated urinary symptoms.
- Bladder health: Pumpkin seeds have been traditionally used for urinary health. Some studies have shown that pumpkin seed extract may help improve symptoms of overactive bladder and urinary incontinence.
- Blood sugar control: Pumpkin seeds have a low glycemic index, meaning they have a minimal impact on blood sugar levels. The presence of fiber, healthy fats, and protein in pumpkin seeds can also help slow down the absorption of sugar from other foods, which may aid in managing blood sugar levels.
- Digestive health: The fiber content in pumpkin seeds supports a healthy digestive system. Adequate fiber intake promotes regular bowel movements, prevents constipation, and supports the growth of beneficial gut bacteria.
This delicious, nutritious silki pak can be served as an appetizer with tortilla chips or veggies, or made like a salsa to serve with your favorite dishes!
Let's make it!
pumpkin seed dip recipe
- 1/2 Cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 Roma tomato
- 1/4 Onion
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro
- 1 Slice of Habanero (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- Toast pepita seeds in a pan until lightly roasted, then transfer to a plate to cool.
- While the pepita seeds are cooling, roast the tomato and onion in a pan until charred or over an open flame.
- Blend pumpkin seeds until a flour, transfer to a bowl and set aside
- Blend the tomato and onion with salt and pepper, with just a tiny splash of water to help blend.
- Add the tomato and onion puree to a bowl and start mixing in the pumpkin seed flour bit by bit until desired consistency.
- Enjoy with veggies or chips!